Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Yes We Can...


Still hasn't sunk in. So glad I have grandparents who lived to see this. So amazed to see this happen in my lifetime.

Matt Bai, political writer for the New York Times Magazine, from NYT's November 4, 2008 election coverage videos:

"It will be represented tomorrow as this huge victory for African Americans. But I really believe in the long view of history it is more than that. It is the breaking up of a 220-odd year monopoly on the presidency--with one small incursion by John Kennedy--but really a monopoly of white protestant men that I think all groups, women, Jews, Asian, Italians whoever else, I think all groups can look at this as a breach of a monopoly. And I think it's a huge generational moment, your and my generation [speaking to colleague Michael Cooper, political writer for the New York Times]--the generation after the boomers--kicks down the door of of American politics after a very long and unproductive governing period."


Tavis Smiley on MSNBC: "We are a better nation..." Smiley talks about this historic event and the weight of expectations that now surround President-elect Barack Obama.

Labels: , , ,