Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Ornette Coleman, say what?


Mendi over at SWEAT just hipped us all to an Ornette Coleman clip from Saturday Night Live, after she and a companion walked past Coleman (pictured at left) in the park and upon recognizing him, doubled back to introduce themselves.

I was saying to someone recently that I just could never get with Coleman, that I loved him for nurturing Charlie Haden, whose work I love, but could never connect with Coleman's work (and yeah Prime Time bassist Jamaaladeen Tacuma, who appears in this clip, is pretty amazing as well). But I had forgotten this number, it whips past so fast you have to listen again, a few times at least, to hear much of what's happening. And as I listened I realized how much I liked it, how much I liked watching them listen to each other and play with each other, Sometimes you just need to hear a piece again...from the new "now" you happen to be in. But this is also an excuse for me to think about jazz and improvisation, which I need to do this week...

2 Comments:

At 11:51 PM, Blogger Mendi Obadike said...

i'll write more on coleman later (i've actually been writing lots on him recently), but for the record: the companion in my "we" is always keith unless otherwise specified. we are a plural one. lol.

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger audiologo said...

Mendi, lol, tambien. "i is the we..." yeah, I thought so, but I didn't want to presume. I look forward to reading more of your thoughts on Coleman. I missed the NYT piece on him a few weeks back and plan to search that out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home