Sunday, June 25, 2006

Atlanta Pride March 2006...called on account of rain*

Sweet-tempered reader, I was on my way to the Pride March in ATL and then the sky opened and much needed rain began to flow, and then pour down from the sky.


The staccato growl of thunder was next, and lightning had been predicted. In Georgia lightning can hit a tree and wipe out power for a whole neighborhood, total a car, and a rip through a house. Since I don't have an exoskeleton even vaguely resembling that of a car or a tree, in fact none at all, I decide to call it a day. The Pride festivities had been cancelled on Friday due to winds accompanying that day's storm, that toppled the outdoor sound stage in Piedmont Park. Unfortunately, the Atlanta Pride Committee had no rain-contingency plan that I could locate.*

So, the photo at right was my Pride experience this weekend: Believe me, when you're in a Red State (that is getting ready to vote on a ban on gay marriage), chancing upon the willingness of a religious institution to make this public statement, is quite moving. Especially when it is located half a block from a sprawling Catholic church and school.


*6/26/06 Update: Apparently the march still happened, but the closing ceremony was cancelled. Congrats to everyone who safely navigated the rainstorm!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home